Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Monday



Monday morning, I went out to the scene of the accident. It happened on Wilberforce-Clifton Road in a straightway. There was not much to see left other than a burn mark and several stains on the road. I thanked God once again for His goodness. We left from there to visit my sister one last time before heading back to Georgia. At this point, I was still very torn leaving. I had partial peace about it. I knew in my mind they would be alright, but I was having a really hard time aligning my heart with that... When thinking about the moment I would go early on in the weekend, I asked God for two things. I asked Him to be able to see my sister without her tube and to hear her voice. I also asked Him to be able to see my niece open her eyes. Little did I know how clearly God would answer my request. I can't get over how awesome He is...
I visited with my sister. She seemed in better spirits. Her voice sounded much more like hers. We had a sweet visit together and cried great tears. I told her I was going home. She told me how much it meant to her that I had come and that she knew when she saw me that it was bad... I told her how much I loved her. I will tell it to her every time I speak with her for the rest of my life. She needs to know it. I hugged the nurse and thanked her. God orchestrated the entire circumstance amazingly, surrounding Jenny and Isabella with care about caliber.
Next, we headed over to see Bella. We stayed for about an hour. Matthew tried extensively to get her to open her eyes for me, but to no avail. She didn't budge and clearly felt sleep was the better option! Finally, just after we had stepped across the threshold of the door, Matthew shouted to come back. She had popped them open when we had said goodbye. I went over to her and spent 3-4 minutes with her. She looked at us, cried a bit, looked at us some more. I told her how much I loved her and how much her cousins loved her. I had her hand in mine. I made the I love you sign with my fingers up to hers and she did it back to me. I could hardly believe how God had brought her to this point and how He had so intimately answered my prayers for peace about leaving.
We left the hospital around 12:30 for Georgia. I realized how hungry I was. After thinking back, I didn't eat one meal on Sunday. We stopped for food and then I slept for a good hour. I know I slept good because my arms were out from me instead of curled up. I believe when I woke up that my left arm was on top of my mother-in-law who was driving me! It was a good deep sleep....
Later in the afternoon, I found out that Jenny had been moved from ICU down to the next level. She would have a few more "freedoms," but less visitor restrictions. I hope that she will be able to rest with the flow of people who are so ready to see her. I am amazed at this development in her story as we were told she would be in ICU for at least a week. On another good note, Isabella had opened her eyes again and again, for longer periods of time. She spoke a few words, including "Ellen," the name of a woman in the room. They will be moving her to either Cincinnati or Columbus tomorrow because they have inpatient therapy she will need to help her. We are remaining positive on her account that she will make a complete recovery.
Also, the care flight team who flighted my sister came to speak to my parents. They told their story. I wish I had been there. I know it was a tearfully joyful reunion. Thank you, God, for all those who gave their time and talents to preserve the lives of this family.

1 comment:

  1. We are praying for all of you! God is an AWESOME God and He is in control! May you all find strength!

    ReplyDelete